Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Not much to report today. It looks like, in general, during the week there won't be too much to report.

I had an awesome bowl of ramen in a shop down the street from the school. Shop made ramen it totally different from the plastic package stuff. For one thing, you get a LOT of soup for not a lot of money.

This afternoon I had my first "Japanese Mind" class. Looks like it'll be pretty cool. The teacher says he's sort of been forced to teach it because he's the vice-dean of the international school. He kind of wandered in lecturing today, but he has some interesting ideas about culture (culture linked to food.) This appears to be the class I read about where we learn about Japanese culture by watching Japanese movies (including some anime.)

After "Japanese Mind" I had my first Kanji class. Let's just say this... I should have studied my kanji harder while I was in the states... It'll be okay though, everyone in my class is at about the same level (of learning and practice.)

A theme seems to have developed among my teachers. The phrase "mainichi takusan shukudai ga aru" everyday you will have lots of homework.

On the way home I stopped off in Shinjuku to see if I could find a descent drinking glass. Before you go "Oh my, he's gone native and began to drink heavily" let me explain. My apartment came with some basic kitchen/dining supplies which included one coffee cup. Now, it's a very nice cup, but kind of small (compared to what I'm used to.) So, I went looking for a bigger cup... well, as I feared, I couldn't find one (at a reasonable price/in a reasonable style) I just wanted a tall glass/plastic cup to pour green tea of soda in. I had to settle for a "medium" glass which set me back $5.00. I guess it sort of grocked on my that I've never shopped for table ware before.

Lucky me I don't have to be at class until 1:00pm tomorrow, so I can party-harty tonight. (every language class meets 4 days a week in the morning, once in the afternoon.)

Ja Mata Ne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home