Wednesday, September 07, 2005

WOW, Detroit Metro Airport is a lot different than I remember it. Given I’m sitting in the new McNamara Terminal rather then the old terminal, but WOW. Here I sit in a modern airport complete with all the amenities you would expect. There’s a McD’s, a Burger King, a Little Caesars, and of course a Starbucks every 5 feet. Also, to my surprise, there’s a fountain with dancing water and, best of all, there’s a shinny new tram. The tram runs indoors (which is cool and creepy) along the concourse.

I was starting to get a bit nervous about my trip this morning, but the awesome-ness of this airport has totally taken my mind it. Now, if I can get my wireless network to work long enough to copy and paste this into blogspot I’ll be happy. If not I’ll post it when I get to my apartment (and figure out what time it is, which end id up, where the heck I am, etc…)

It’s weird, there’s such a mixing pot of people on the concourse here. “Back in the day” when international flights had their own terminal, you sat at your gate and only saw people from the place you were headed. Here where all Northwest flights arrive/depart in the same building (and the concourse is so nice and open) you see so many people from so many places. It’s quite amazing.

In the good news category, I was able to move my seat to an emergency exit row. As many of you know, I CAN fold my 6’4” frame into some very small seats, but it isn’t pretty.

Parting, I would like to thank all who have wished me well. I promise to come back with stories to tell.

One hour to go…

See you on the flip side…

Ja Mata Ne.

Edit: I don’t suggest spending the $7.00 to get the Metro Airport WiFi unless: You’re sitting under a hub (I had 1 bar were I was) and/or you’re going to be sitting there a while (I was only there for about an hour).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Detroit's Metro since they remodel the whole NorthWest terminal area several years ago. The tram is nice for getting to gates fast.

I'll take your advice on the wifi and just sit and watch the jumping water instead.

Glad to hear you're there safe and sound. Looking forward to more updates.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home