Sunday, October 16, 2005

Instead of a normal exciting weekend update I'm going to take this chance to post some more answers to questions that have been asked. I decided after Kendo practice this morning that I'd be a slacker again today and hang out around the house to get some work done. Not the most exciting thing to write home about. So here I go:

Thanks to Vorrt for posting this set (as well as other sets) of questions.

Q:How is the class structure for college in Japan in comparison to the class structure here in America?
A: The Japanese classes are more or less structured like a foreign language class in the states. You learn the new grammar or vocabulary lesson first, then practice by applying it. The JLSP classes, which are lectures on various aspects of Japanese culture are given like lectures in the states. One class that is different from anything I've had before in "Conversation Class" in which we sit and talk (in Japanese) with a Japanese volunteer one on one for an hour and a half.

Q:Do you have one teacher who teaches all day or do you have different teachers for different subjects?
A: Actually we have a team of 3 Japanese class teachers who each teach class 2 days a week (one teaches only once a week.) Each teacher teaches for the entire class session. They're all really nice and helpful. We have 5 different JLSP lecturers. 2 native Japanese, 1 American, 1 former American (naturalized Japanese now), and 1 former Russian (again now a naturalized Japanese). Each JLSP teacher has their own quirks and I like them all. The "teacher" for my Conversation Class is one of my Japanese language teachers. Also my Kanji instructor is one of my language class teachers. Long story short: different teachers for different subjects.

Q:What is the college campus like? Is it beautiful and old like UofM or MSU? or is it dilapidated and death-trapish like WMU?
A: Neither. The campus where I attend class isn't a campus at all but a building in a downtown area. I understand that some of NiDai's colleges have very nice campuses (i.e. the Liberal Arts college near my apartment) but I haven't checked any of them out yet. I suppose to sort of answer the question asked, it's not "old and busted" but it isn't "the new hotness" either.

Q:Will you post any pictures of the college you are attending?
A:These are pictures of the main NiDai building. I attend classes in the Annex building down the street. There's a good cheap cafeteria for NiDai students I frequent in the basement of this building.



Q:What is your class compostion like?
A: As mentioned above; language class is lesson, practice, lesson, practice. JLSP class is strainght sit and listen lecture. Conversation class is the most fun as there is no composition, we just talk about whatever we wish (although typically conversation starters are supplied, just in case).

Q:Is it all Americans or are there students from other countries in it as well? Is there more women or men?
A: This is a remarkably difficult question. I am one of two mainland Americans, but the other guy attends Cambridge in the U.K. There are also two students from Hawaii, but they're not in the JLSP program (they're true exchange students). So no, there's not a lot of Americans. I'd say maybe 60% of participants are German. Maybe 20% Finnish (yeah, I'm supprised too). The rest are a smattering of various countries (China, France, Sweden, Russia, etc.) I believe there are more women than men. I haven't done a head count, but I think that's how it is.

Q:What about student groups? Anything like what exists here in the states? or something completely different?
A: For various reasons I haven't sought out any student groups through NiDai. I'd have to assume that there are students groups quite a bit like in the states but I have no data to back that up. The Kendo club I'm with isn't part of NiDai.

Q:Did you find an Otaku group (ala my misconceptions from watching "Otaku no video")?
A: I haven't seen "Otaku no Video" so I don't know exactly what misconceptions are out there. For those who don't know the lingo and "Otaku" is a person so involved with anime and video games that he (or she, but more "he") dosen't ever leave his (or her, but really it's a male thing) house. Actually, the word "Otaku" means person who dosen't leave the house. I've heard about Otaku and seen some on TV, but by nature Otaku tend to be loners and don't form groups. Here the term Otaku carries slightly more negative connotations than in the states. If you think about it, someone in a group based culture who is a loaner is looked down upon. If and when an Otaku leaved the house it's either for more food or to go to Akihabara (totally otaku central). Okay, I know this paragraph describes me but... next question!

Q:Is grading structure any different than what you are used to? Is it a pass or fail system, or ranking like A's&B's style?
A: The JLSP course is very flexible in it's grading. It can send a transcript in whatever form the home university wants. I, for example, will be receiving ABCDE grades. Some participants have actually already graduated from their universities and will not be getting grades sent.
I hope this satifactorally answers these questions. If it didn't or you have more questions, please feel free to post a comment or send me an e-mail.
Ja Mata Ne.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mike how are you? for some bazar reson my parents decided to wait till about two weeks ago to tell me you have a blog. and just now showd it to me.well i like your pics ther kool. post some more please. And i also have a question have you tried the sushi exc? do you like it? and did you know that it was ment to be eaten in one bight? sorry this was so long hope to talk to you soon

your cousin allison
p.s. if you get the chance read some graphic novels like fruts basket and desert coral if you dont like those i can seggest others
bie

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home